Saturday 23 October 2010

Don Broco are not particularly cool, Energy! are

So Don Broco played GRV last night.  In theory, I should like a band who don't take themselves too seriously and have fun with their songs, so I went with some optimism, even if it was a bit cautious.  But at the end of the day, it takes more than style for me to like a band- and their songs just aren't good enough, pure and simple.  But whatever. 

More interesting, and the reason I'm bothering to type this up, were main support act Energy!, who recently supported Feeder.  I know, fuck Feeder, but it's still a pretty mighty support slot for a young band to land, so I was curious.  Stylistically, these guys are basically just that kind of emo-indie-alt-rocky Scottish...stuff.   You know what I mean.  Or not. But anyway, what didn't piss me off about them was the fact that rather than being some trendy arrogant dudes riding off their stye-over-substance music to live out their Twin Atlantic fantasies or something, Energy! are 3 awkward-looking, fairly shy kids, who seem greatly into their music and just want to play it to people.  Ross Leighton's a talented singer, and their songs felt well put together and passionate, even if it's nothing we haven't heard before.  What can I say, I really liked it.  Listen to their stuff and see what you think.  Where The Water Meets The Land is a really nice song.

More substantial gig review on here and Edrock.net tomorrow...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment. Don't be a dick.